What Does a Bankruptcy Lawyer Do: All You Need to Know
If you are nervous about your bankruptcy filing, feeling unsure about what you need to know beforehand and what a bankruptcy attorney can do for you, the best thing you can do to save your peace of mind is inquire about the process. Are you looking for information about choosing the right representative, time frames concerning the filing, or how to prepare for a first consultation? Here is all you need to know prior to your first meeting with one of most competent bankruptcy lawyers in Chula Vista.
What to look for in a bankruptcy attorney?
Having second thoughts about whether or not you should employ a bankruptcy lawyer is natural at the beginning of the process, but as time is of the essence, make sure not to take too much time contemplating what needs to be done. Making an informed decision about your chosen legal representative is going to prove crucial for the success of your bankruptcy filing, so make sure you approach the matter accordingly.
Finding the finest attorney for your case will call for thorough inquiring, and here are a few requirements a reliable bankruptcy lawyer must meet. These are the aspects you should pay the most attention to before making a final decision.
- Proven experience in the field. To be able to tackle a challenge such as filing for a bankruptcy plan, your chosen attorney must be a highly recommended professional with at least several years of experience in the field.
- Clear, concise answers are all you should get from your lawyer. Vague, insecure responses should attract your attention, as they might signal your potential representative is unsure of themselves or doesn’t have enough experience.
- Understanding and passion for the process. Your chosen bankruptcy lawyer should be supportive and understanding of your struggles, showing a sincere passion for the whole process. Only that way you can trust their dedication to the task at hand.
- Readiness to discuss alternatives. Perhaps you have some ideas that might help? You should be able to discuss them freely. Even if your suggestions are not the best bet for your case, your chosen attorney should be able to elaborate on why they are not considered optimal, and what they suggest instead.
How quickly can an attorney file bankruptcy for me?
Depending on the chosen payment plan and the urgency of the situation, it may take between as little as two hours up to several weeks to prepare and file all required paperwork. Unless it is completely necessary, it is advised not to rush with filing. Instead, take the time to carefully discuss the case with your representative, who will then be able to assess how quickly the forms should be ready and submitted.
What will bankruptcy attorney want to know?
It’s not uncommon to see a debtor coming to the first consultation well prepared, asking questions such as what to expect after bankruptcy discharge, is there a way to keep any unexempt property, or which classes must be taken during the process of filing. However, your attorney will also prepare some questions of their own, and here is what you can expect to come up among them.
- Basic information about your case: How much do you owe and to which creditors, are you thinking about filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, what is your desired outcome after the case is done;
- Personal information in close regard to the case: Your marital status, data about yours and your spouse’s income, and information if you have any children;
- Additional information, such as: Do you have any assets and how much are they worth, have you filed bankruptcy before, under which Chapter, and when. You will also be asked about any past-due related to for taxes or domestic support.
Remember that your attorney is always on your side. Concealing any necessary information will not help your case, so feel free to provide any information your legal representative needs in order to approach your case appropriately.
What documents my attorney needs to file bankruptcy in California?
California laws and regulations explicitly demand filing several different forms, whether you are filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. The list of necessary paperwork is very extensive, and only some of the forms you will be required to submit are :
- A voluntary Petition for (non) Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy,
- Statement About Your Social Security Numbers,
- Forms for claiming property and exempt property,
- Several different creditors lists,
- Forms confirming your income and expenses.
The complete forms package for filing bankruptcy is easily accessible, but knowing how to approach filling in and filing these documents is a time-consuming and risky process. Any omission or mistake regarding the necessary paperwork can cost you your case, so it is strongly advised to seek professional assistance before getting into the situation at hand.
Whom can you trust with your bankruptcy case?
For some debtors, the financial situation they’re in is stressful enough, yet most of them feel additionally concerned if they are not sure how to find a reliable lawyer for bankruptcy in Chula Vista. A solid bankruptcy attorney should be experienced, professional, available, and approachable, so you need to be careful before making your final decision. Luckily, for Chula Vista residents, there is a reliable solution for any debt-related concerns you might have.
#1 Chula Vista bankruptcy representation is only a click away
When was the last time you fully dedicated yourself to your family and friends? The time has come to make your bankruptcy case strong and successful, so you can go back to your life and everyday activities. When the case is successfully finished, take some time to do what really matters to you, whether it’s resting and relaxing, or taking your family to a picnic at Chula Vista Community Park.
In order to achieve this, make sure to contact the experts with over a decade-long experience in the bankruptcy field. Law offices of Chang & Diamond are your best choice, offering top-notch professional attitude, proven competence, and complete reliability. The BK Lawyers are your #1 bankruptcy representatives in Chula Vista, always ready for your call. Contact us today, and schedule your first appointment!